DEPARTMENT OF CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY
The Department of Clinical Psychology at Kasturba Hospital is dedicated to providing quality care to people who experience mental health problems. Personalized treatment programs are molded to meet the needs of each individual. A team of psychiatrists, psychiatric social workers and clinical psychologists work together to help patients. Patients benefit from the innovation and team philosophy found here. Along with clinical care, the department emphasizes excellence in teaching and research.
TREATMENTS & PROCEDURES
- Multidisciplinary evaluation of any mental health problem
- Clinical Psychopharmacology
- EEG monitored Elecroconvulsive therapy
- Individual Psychotherapy.
- Family and Marital therapy
- Group therapy
- Therapy for children and adolescents with emotional and behavioral disturbances
- Therapy for individuals with substance abuse / dependence
- Therapy for emotional disorders associated with physical illnesses. Counseling
- Home visits to enhance assessment and treatment
Daily outpatient and inpatient services at Kasturba Hospital, Manipal. Evening consultation clinic (Daily OPDʼs) at Dr. TMA Pai Hospital, Udupi.
24 hours emergency care services.
Community mental health services through extension centers at
- Home for destitute women
- School mental health services at Govt. Primary School,
- Vishwasada mane home for destitute person with mental illness.
- Udyavara and Karkala camp
- Telepsychiatry review kandlor PHC and Hebri CHC.
- Manipal & Kadiyali High School, Udupi.
- Consultation Liaison Psychiatric Services.
- Psycho - oncology Clinic.
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Clinic.
- Deaddiction clinic for alcohol and substance abuse.
- Psychodermatology Clinic.
Hombelaku is a medium to long term stay and rehabilitation centre for the chronically mentally ill. It is administratively and functionally integrated to the Kasturba Medical College, Manipal. The centre started functioning in January 2010. The centre is a 50 bedded facility for the chronically mentally ill. It is located in the university campus on a 1.5 Acre plot on a hillside facing a valley at Manipal. It provides a calm and soothing atmosphere to facilitate rehabilitative processes. The centre has separate residential wings for men and women. Each wing has 2 bedded rooms and dormitory facilities with common toilet and bath areas. Day care services are also provided at the centre.
- To provide the highest quality clinical care
- To provide a nurturing environment for healing
- To facilitate integration of the person into society by training in daily living skills, developing work habits, improving social skills and fostering decision making abilities
- To minimize disability
- To provide respite care
Professional inputs - The rehabilitation programs are planned and managed by an experienced team of psychiatrists, psychiatric social workers, clinical psychologists, psychiatric nurses and occupational therapists. The centre has a yoga instructor and a vocational trainer who provide their services. The centre has 24 hour supervision by qualified nurses and ward attendants.
It is the endeavor of the professionals working at Hombelaku to provide holistic, consistent and humane care to the residents. The treating team strives constantly to improve therapeutic input to facilitate the realization of the potential of the residents maximally.
Clinics in Kasturba Hospital
- Sexual disorder clinic in department of skin and Urology
- Memory clinic at department of neurology
- Psychiatry clinic at Asare