DEPARTMENT OF OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY
Occupational Therapy is a field of rehabilitation which deals with the restoration of functional abilities of individuals following physical, neurological and mental trauma or disease. Functional abilities refers to the ability of a person to do daily activities which may range from general self care tasks such as feeding or dressing to specific activities of work such as writing or use of computers.
There are many disease processes, traumatic conditions, birth related problems, problems related to old age or mental problems which can affect the capacity to perform daily function. These conditions will result in several disabling consequences like poor balance, coordination, mental instability, cognition, sensation, memory, pain, weakness of muscle, swelling, limitation of joint movement, inadequate hand function, loss of part of limb or whole. All of these eventually compromise the person's ability to do daily activities. For example a person with hemiplegia is unable to self-feed, has difficulty in grooming and dressing on his own, is unable to commute to work, sign documents, count money, use his keyboard etc. Occupational Therapy through its various therapeutic interventions aims to restore, rehabilitate or prevent problems that compromise functional independence.
Department is equipped to handle wide range of conditions with their respective functional limitations. The department has over the years successfully managed to reintegrate people with physical and psychosocial disability, which include people from different walks of life such as tailors, bank employees, executives, teachers, bus conductors, housewives, waiters, fishermen, businessmen, manual workers, secretary etc back to their community. The department provides both inpatient and outpatient services in the following OT Services in different clinical areas.
TREATMENTS & PROCEDURES
OT Assessment services:
The department has standardized and computerized assessments for clinical and research purposes
- Standardized functional assessment
- Functional assessment of cognitive-perceptual deficits
- Assessment of hand function and dexterity
- Handwriting assessment
- Standardized assessments of child gross & fine motor development.
- Home & Worksite evaluation
This specialized unit provides rehabilitation services for both acute and chronic neurological conditions such as stroke, paraplegia,parkinsons, dementia.
- Sensori - motor / neuromuscular retraining
- Cognitive-perceptual remediation / rehabilitation
- Balance & co-ordination training
- Care of hemiplegic shoulder
- Hand function retraining
- Stroke Rehabilitation
- Functional Electrical stimulation
- Coma stimulation
Child Habilitation Services:
This section provides a play oriented therapeutic environment for children with Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation, Learning Disability, Developmental Delay, Spina Bifida, Congenital anomalies, Autism etc.
The following services are offered
- Gross and fine motor skill development
- Visual motor and visual-perceptual training
- Skills associated with independence in Activities of daily living
- Design and fabrication of seating devices
- Play Therapy
- Handwriting remediation
- Sensory integration therapy
- Neurodevelopmental therapy
- Oro-motor training for feeding problems
- School based OT (consultancy)
Orthopedics rehabilitation services:
This unit deals with all kind of pre and post-operative orthopedic and trauma conditions with reported functional limitations.
The following services are offered for patients with orthopedic problems:
- Sensorimotor re-education
- Amputee retraining and prosthetic management
- Continuous passive motion
- Ergonomic consultations & Back Care
- Strength, Range of Motion and endurance training
- Pressure garments and management
- Spondylolisthesis Correction
Sports Medicine Unit:
Specialises in Arthroscopic Surgery of various joints, Sports Medicine and Revision surgery of the knee.
- Arthroscopic meniscal surgeries including meniscal suturing
- Arthroscopic reconstruction of ACL & PCL
- Arthroscopy-assisted surgery for recurrent dislocation of the shoulder and patella
- Arthroscopy of the shoulder, Ankle, Elbow, Hip and Wrist Joints
Trauma and Joint Replacement Unit:
Specialises in complicated trauma, Polytrauma, Primary and Revision Hip and Knee surgery. There is a well-equipped 24 hour Trauma Triage and Hi-tech ambulance services.
- Total hip replacements
- Total knee replacements
- Total shoulder and elbow replacements
- Surface replacements of hip and Unicondylar knee replacements.
- Revision of joint replacement
- Closed interlock Nailing for Long Bone Fracture
- External fixators application for open fractures and fractures of pelvis.
- Ace tabular Fracture Fixation
- Fixation of Fractures using DCP, LCDCP, LCP Trauma
- Minimal invasive plating for articular fractures
- Ring external fixator
- Internal fixation and replacement arthroplasty for Fractures around the hip joint.
The Artificial Limb Center:
The center offers comprehensive Orthotic and Prosthetic services. The high quality artificial limbs, or prosthetic devices have transformed many disabled peopleʼs lives. Emergency Ambulance Services
The Physiotherapy out patient department is equipped with the necessary electro therapeutic equipments such as
- Cold packs
- Hot packs
- Wax bath
- Electrical stimulator